FK-OC | Ford Ka Owners Club

Ford Day Blackpool

Sunday 7th September 2014

To display your car on the Ford Ka Owners Club stand, tickets are £3 per car.

There is a maximum of 20 cars per club and it would be great if we could get 20 of our motors there! This sounds like it will be a great day out!

Details about the show, payment information, accommodation for the night before etc. can be found here: [-Link-]

PAYMENT DEADLINE: THURSDAY 31st JULY

Car Of The Month

Vote now for the April 2014 Car of the Month here -->click here!

We Need Your Help!

Please consider contributing a small donation to the club to help with our running costs, club banners, business cards and much more!

Thanks for your support!

Club Lanyards

Click here to order your Ford Ka Owners Club lanyards!

Club Clothing Order

Click here to order your club polo shirts and hoodies!

Guests: 7
Members: 2, beeno132 Mikerich1892
On this page: 1
Members: 4134, Newest: Mikerich1892

We're social

Facebook Find us on Facebook

Twitter Follow us on Twitter

YouTube Watch us on YouTube

Forums

FK-OC | Ford Ka Owners Club :: Forums :: Main Ka Forum :: Mk1 Ford Ka Forum (1996-2008)

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Rear Quarter Panel repair/replace?
Moderators: Mr GaGa, *аиđяєа, The Howard, *Gizmo*, JohnKa
Author Post
steveM
Fri May 06 2011, 01:19AM
Registered Member #1426
Fuel-cap surround panel is £15-ish, plus cutting & welding.. replacement panel (new) £120~, or breakers.
Can anyone give an idea of what's involved changing the whole panel? Is there a guide(?)
cheers!

steveM
Fri May 06 2011, 02:45AM
Registered Member #1426
Fair bit of work I'm thinking..
JohnKa
Fri May 06 2011, 08:57AM
Half man, half Tiger!

Registered Member #59
It's not really a guide sort of thing, if you have to ask, you probably can't do it at home, lol. (unless you're very mechanically minded)
Obviously you need to able to weld (MIG/TIG), and along the pillars the neatest way is to butt weld, (which is not easy if you're a beginner). Take out any interior/exterior panels that are anywhere near the weld (and fuel tank! protect or remove), cut out the old panel, tack in new, check lots, then fully weld it all, spreading the welds so you don't get too much heat distortion. Then grind it back, fill, sand (repeat until perfect) and finally prep and paint.
Just to do the surround is obviously less work, you still have the fuel tank to worry about, then cut out a square, match new panel to shape, butt weld in and go through all the bodywork stuff. You'd need to respray the whole panel to get a match I would think.
KaRazy
Fri May 06 2011, 09:21AM
Registered Member #1340
It is a major problem on the KA. I have lost count now the amount of Ka's I have seen with the dreaded dribble of rusty water stains down the rear quarter panels.
it still needs treating but an alternative is something like this:
[-Link-]

OR This:
[-Link-]
Prevention is far more better than the cure and If anyone has a KA that doesn't suffer from this problem yet then a trick is remove the rubber retaining ring with a small turn anticlockwise.
Remove the screw and plastic filler housing.
Put the the filler cap itself back on.
Pressure wash up inside the inner arch to remove any muck around the area. Treat any rust with good quality item (many on the market).
Waxoyl the area or use any other quality product.
Put it all back together.
A handy tip that a ford technician told me:
Cut a strip of thin plastic that will trim/ fit up inside the inner quarter panel and around the filler pipe making sure that it doesn't foul on the tyre and seal around the edge with a good quality flexible sealant. This will prevent moisture and dirt/mud from flicking back up to behind the filler cap again... Otherwise, 2 years maximum... You will be back to square one!
steveM
Fri May 06 2011, 11:49AM
Registered Member #1426
Thanks for the replies guys.
John, I don't have the welding gear (or experience), but do have a couple of welder/fabricator friends Having said that, and given the value of the car, I don't think the 1/4 panel will be worth it..
KaRazy, I need to tackle the rust problem first Not sure if I like the idea of the protective ring(s) sitting proud of the bodywork though.. Good tips, thanks!
Reckon it'll be the fuel filler surround option, when I've worked through the list of other jobs(!)
cheers
gazfromscotland
Fri May 06 2011, 02:13PM
Registered Member #762
as said unless you can weld then get someone else to do it for you . Dont buy a panel from the scrap yard ,you will regret it after the same thing happens . Ask wellz im sure he put a new one onto his two-tone ka
Geordie_ka
Fri May 06 2011, 05:16PM
Registered Member #37
I have just had a quote to have mine done they said its any thing from £750 up over i nealy died i could reshell my car in to a newer body for that money
steveM
Fri May 06 2011, 06:43PM
Registered Member #1426
They must be extracting the urine or just don't want the job.. maybe quoted with a Ford-sourced replacement panel? Crazy price whichever way - twice what I paid for the Ka! lol

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF